Thursday, May 7, 2009

4 Things that Create a Healthy Worship Team (3)

Over the last 2 years of doing worship ministry I have learned a great deal about NON-MUSIC related leadership. When I was in the School Of Worship I remember one of the things they would always say is "WORSHIP MINISTRY IS 10% MUSIC and 90% PEOPLE". Man have I seen that. If you pour into your team and invest in your people, then the experience/music side of it should come naturally. Once again, I am learning this big time right now and by no means claim to have it figured out. You can read my previous 2 posts here and here.

#3: INVEST IN THE VALUE OF THE INDIVIDUALS
This is probably one of the most difficult things for me. Not only are you trying to cast vision, lead rehearsals, pick music, make sure all the administration stuff is done, but also create value in each and every team member. Each person needs to know that they are essential to the team. That without them they would be missed. Now its important to understand that some people DO carry more weight. If you have and entire rock band on stage and your drummer doesn't show, there will be issues. BUT that does not mean that BGV's aren't as valuable. So its important to find ways with each individual to make them feel valuable.

One thing that we have started this year is a quarterly evaluation. Its an opportunity for me one on one to challenge my team members and to help them understand what I want out of them, so that their is never any confusion. It also gives them an opportunity to be heard. Maybe they have some concerns or just need some confirmation that they are doing a great job. Give them an ear.

GET TOGETHER OUTSIDE OF WORSHIP ATMOSPHERES. Do a BBQ together, go to some concerts, hangout, become a community. This will help them understand you are interested in THEM AS A PERSON not as "your just my drummer, or my singer, or whatever".

Check up on your team. Make phone calls and text messages, emails, etc for NO REASON. Just to see how they are doing. Not always wanting something from them. I just received a phone call with a message from a friend that said "I'm not calling for any reason just wanted to see how you were doing, call me later". That meant the world to me!

Again this is something that I am not great at, but I'm learning. EVERY PERSON IS A DIFFERENT PERSON AND WILL NEED VALIDATED IN THAT MANY DIFFERENT WAYS.

When you invest in your team they will invest back into your ministry. When they see that you care about them its much easier for them to care about you and the worship ministry. The goal is a unified team and when there is unity, your worship experience will be that much greater.

investing,
Adam