Tuesday, May 5, 2009

4 Things that Create a Healthy Worship Team (1)

At the beginning of this year I began to feel God stir my heart for some specific directions to take the worship team. As I met with Jeff from time to time we talked about next steps for the team. I have by no means figured this thing out, and in fact these are things I am currently struggling with and learning my self. But these are some specific things I feel like God has placed inside of me to help create a healthy worship team.

1 - Multiply your Team: I really struggled when we launched Element Church with what the worship team would look like. I wanted excellence and believe that that is a key component to a great experience and there are several team models out there.

I don't believe in the "ANYONE WHO LIKES TO PLAY AND SING, CAN PLAY AND SING" model. That model is not effective at all. Every time I have seen it and talked with the worship leader they are stressed out and very frustrated and most of the time its more of a distraction than anything. Also,you may be leading someone in a direction opposite of where God is calling them because you don't want to offend their lack of ability to play or sing.

But on the flip side which is where I tend to lean, is the "ONE BAND, THE SAME BAND, EVERY WEEK" model, no hick-ups, no unpredictability, no major mess ups, so on and so on. The problem with this is that you are limited. When everyone leaves the church and moves on and you haven't been raising up knew people, then you have no-one. You also may limit someone's development into the next greatest worship leader because they were never given the opportunity. There is a balance. I tried Church Wide Auditions, and I've tried private auditions, both have there plus and minus's. The key is to be multiplying your team. Allow people to sit under your other band members on rehearsal nights and learn. Encourage each team member to be investing in someone else. You will never have a shortage of quality musicians at your disposal. And you just may be allowing the next Chris Tomlin come thru your ministry.

New blood can stretch you as a leader as well, from style, to song selections, to creative ideas. Find that balance for you but in order for there to be a healthy Worship Ministry that will last forever you must multiply your team in an excellent, quality environment.

learning,
adam